Test

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thank You


This whole experience of what I've been going through for the past 3 weeks has shown me a lot of different things and helped me to deal with some of the fears that I've had for a very long time. Through all of this, I've learned to trust God more and have a greater appreciation for the people in my life who really love me.

One of my many prayers over the years was to make it through my life without ever having to have surgery. Fortunate for me, I couldn't make that decision. Sure, I can refrain from bungee jumping or skateboarding and other dangerous activities, but I have no control over things that God allows. Before going into surgery I was so afraid of going under anesthesia for a fear of not waking up. Truth be told, this is my ideal way of passing from this life into the next. No pain. But I'd like to wait until I'm at least 70 for this to happen. I was thinking about not being able to be around to raise my daughter and be there for my wife. It's not so easy sometimes to know that God's plan is perfect, especially when it comes your children not being able to outlive you.

I came to know and experience even more how much my family loved and cared about me. I never doubted it before, but it's always comforting to know that they are there for you no matter what.

It's always cool to know that your close friends and coworkers are thinking about you as well. Some peoples hearts are so big.

Last, but not least, this ordeal has brought me so much closer to my wife. Her unending patience and strength has added so much to my love bank. She put up with my constant requests for water, medicine, putting on of my shoes, helping me get dressed, sponge baths, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc....

The first week that I came home after the surgery was really hard. I was still pretty dizzy while walking around due to the anesthesia. Sitting and standing was so hard. I remember that I tried to get in the bed and roll over and feeling helpless. I found myself in a position that caused my hips and back so much pain and I couldn't get myself out of it without causing more pain. Worse than that was the fact that Tess couldn't help me. After shedding a few tears (more out of frustration than pain), I was able to get myself back to a sitting position.

I appreciate everything that everyone has done to make this easier on myself and Tess. I thank my mom and dad for coming by whenever they could to help us with cleaning and our little one. My dad had lower back surgery twice and it's great to know someone firsthand who completely understands what I'm going through. I appreciate my mother-in-law for the many nights that she stayed and helped us take care of little Miss. This helped out tons when Tess was trying to take care of things in the evenings. This just happens to be the most cranky part our our kids day. She's usually hungry, sleepy and in need of a bath. Thanks to my brother and sister for their kind words of encouragement. Thanks to my family for stopping by to see me for a few minutes while they were in town. Also, thanks to my cousin Toria for the edible arrangement that she sent. LOL, I never expected that. And finally, thanks to the the coworkers who took their lunch hour to come by and visit and drop off yet, another edible arrangement.

The next few weeks should prove productive as I'll finally start to get my strength back in physical therapy. So, here's to the future. We have some exciting things happening in the next few months that we're very happy about.

Until next time, see ya later.